The sculpture with Surya Namaskar Cycle is a calming sight in the otherwise busy New Delhi T3 Terminal. I stopped for a while, watching the elegance of the poses and being a avid Surya Namaskar enthusiast loved the way, the early morning sun streamed through from the glass panes on the left brightening up the entire area.
The 12 poses are best done early in the morning chanting the different names of sun while gliding through the poses effortlessly. It is a complete body stretch massaging the abdominal organs, stretching the muscles and opening the chakras leading to complete alignment of body, mind and soul. It is best to begin slow, allowing the body to adjust and then pick up pace. Many people, I know are eager to do Surya Namaskar to reduce weight. My advise to them is to reflect and ponder and try to understand why they are gaining weight, what is that inner issue that they are battling with, that is bothering them. Yoga will help them to connect with that, resolve the issue and lead them to peaceful existence.
- Folded Hands in front of Heart Chakra – Om Mitraye Namaha
- Half Bend Backward opening the Heart Chakra further – Om Ravaye Namaha
- Forward Bend with palms touching the ground in surrender – Om Suryaye Namaha
- Left Leg behind & right leg folded in awareness of sun energy- Om Bhanave Namaha
- Both legs behind in plank pose distributing energy – Om Khagaye Namaha
- 8 limbed prostration with the abdomen held up – Om Pushney Namaha
- Looking up in Cobra Pose, opening up the root chakra – Om Hiranyagarbhaye Namaha
- Pushing up in mountain pose, being aware of inner power- Om Marichaye Namaha
- Right leg behind & left leg folded in awareness of moon energy- Om Adityaye Namaha
- Forward Bend with palms touching the ground in surrender – Om Savitraye Namaha
- Half Bend Backward opening the Heart Chakra further – Om Arkaye Namah
- Folded Hands in front of Heart Chakra – Om Bhaskaraye Namaha
24 Surya Namaskars or 12 rounds in cognizance of the 24 hours in a day and 12 months in a year is a good start for the day. Start your practice today and feel the change permeate through every cell in your body. Regular practice will lead to a lean and healthy body, with razor sharp intellect.