Mandvi is a port city in the Western Part of India in the Kutch, Gujarat region. It is famous for its beaches and centuries old ship building yard. Once upon a time walled city, the ruins of the walls can be seen while driving around. It is a good half day trip from Bhuj unless you want to spend more time on the beach. You can opt to stay in Mandvi and explore Bhuj and surrounds.
- Best Time: All year round but October to March is preferred for sightseeing around Mandvi and Great Rann of Kutch
- Reach : Nearest airport is in Bhuj about 50-60 kms away. Ideally a day trip from Bhuj or a good stop over for a day if you are driving around Kutch.
1. Visit the Vijay Vilas Palace by the sea which is an amazing depiction of fusion architecture which has inspired the legendary Bollywood Movie – Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. You can choose to stay in the luxury tents off the private beach of the Palace for some peace and quiet.
2. Lunch at “Osho”. Located in a narrow building in the busy market area, the awesome food for less than Rs 100/- makes up for the location. The server appears sad if you happen to refuse second and third helpings. The market around is pretty vibrant. If you are a street foodie keep some space for that super soft dhokla, the famed Mandvi Dabeli(similar to Mumbai Vada Pao).
3. Drive past the Ship Building Yard which Mandvi is famous for. If you are very adventurous, stop and try climbing one of those ships under works !!
4. Spend time at the beach, the sand does not stick to the feet and the water is clear and cool. Watch the windmills and birds, take a short camel ride along the beach or simply walk along the soft sand enjoying the foot massage with cool sea water.
5. Visit the 72 Jinalay or Jain Temples, located in Khoday on the Mandvi – Bhuj Road about 15 kms from Mandvi.